Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Previously frames and tables were considered to be major means for layout. But within the course of time web browsers of new generation supporting the latest technologies have come into light. The use of layers, such as those that can be found in Adobe Photoshop, provided webmasters truly unlimited options for layout of documents. The thing is that even though tables have certain flaws, because of the simplicity of mastering this method it still remains popular among novice webmasters, and even for some professionals. Therefore, tables and layers are considered to be so called competitors. So let’s see what makes layers stand out as a worthy competitor for tables.
Layer is set by container, and to determine the position of the layer top, left, z-index attributes are required.
* The method of positioning layers relative to each other can lead to the creation of interesting effects that contribute to web page “revival”.
* Fast processing of layers by web browsers.
* Support for Cartesian coordinates allows to specify the position of layers on the page with pixel precision.
* Adjustment of layer properties through CSS.
* Differences in site mapping, for the layout of which layers were used by web browsers.
* Problems when editing the pages with layers in graphics html-editors.
Layout using layers is technically similar to positioning of elements, and in such cases, the standard tagis better to be replaced by, so that problems with browsers diminish.
As you can see layers do not limit imagination of the designer, but at the same time are complex in implementation. Moreover, the perception of a single standard by web browsers is missing. Therefore, there is no guarantee that a site with such layout will look identical in Internet Explorer and Opera. That is why tables still remain dominant over layers. However, it is worth noting that in terms of layout layers have a great future if discrepancies of web browsers eliminate.